I’m beginning this writing without a title…..very different from how I usually write.
I am fighting so many thoughts….so many emotions at this moment, I guess I’m resigning myself to the fact that this may be the most disjointed piece I’ve ever written.
But I can live with that. I am an imperfect person. I am a sinner, a child of sin. Imperfection and fault are in my DNA. Yet, I also know that I am saved. I am a chosen child of the one true God. My sins have been paid for by the crucifixion and resurrection of our Savior Jesus Christ.
With everything that is going on with the world right now, but more importantly my country, I want to write the Anger I’m feeling. Put the poison on the page and fling it out for the whole world to see, in order to save my heart and soul from the pain.
But as the last couple weeks at church have spoken to us: We are called to ask God for wisdom, in order to use it to help, to guide, to uplift, to show others that there is another way.
So, I am going to do my best to do just that. I cannot, however guarantee I can spread God’s wisdom without also communicating some of my feeling. So please understand and bear with me as I try to make sense of what’s on my mind….my heart.
As I am writing this, all Americans are now aware that less than a week after the assassination of 5 Police Officers in Dallas, TX, this morning brought another assassination of another 3. As the child of a former Law Officer, now thankfully retired, for some reason each case of the death of a Law Enforcement Officer (LEO) in the last couple years has really affected me. I’m not sure why…..and it’s troubling.
My father was able to get through 40 years as a LEO with no real risks to his health and safety, other than a couple ‘On Duty’ motor-vehicle accidents. He did his job, supported his family, earned respect, and thus a decent retirement. What more could anyone ask for? Maybe that’s why these recent issues have been so painful to me: My father survived, why shouldn’t others? Why shouldn’t the Men and Women that take an oath to Serve and Protect their communities be more respected, understood and treasured? Most are lucky to retire (if they make it to that point before health problems stemming from stress affect them) with simple private displays of their decorations to look back on like this:
Don’t we owe them far, far more?? How many lives of those who protect us are ‘enough’?
But it’s deeper than that, I think……more like the very fabric of the Nation I was taught to think highly of, respect the sacrifices of those who built and died to protect, and do no harm to it’s future have been widely challenged, if not outright disrespected.
Since its’ inception, this country has been a Nation of Laws, not a Nation of men. Bottom line, the Laws of the land were to always be followed and respected, lest the very foundation of the Nation crumble. So these LEO deaths, along with many other well-known instances of blatant law violation have made me very afraid for the future. For the future of this God given freedom, for the safety and security of our children.
I am not going to go into the politics of the moment in this writing. There is certainly more than enough blame to go around. But as our “leaders” are nothing if not inept in helping to guide our Nation out of this tumultuous time, we need to ask ourselves some hard questions if we are truly concerned about the America we will hand over to our Children. One thing is for certain: if we, the adults of America do nothing, or sit by and say it’s not our problem, or that it will get better tomorrow, then understand this:
WE ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE DOWNFALL OF OUR NATION, and THE BLOOD OF THOSE WHO HAVE DIED TRYING TO MAINTAIN LAW AND ORDER ARE ON OUR HANDS.
If you are like me and cant or won’t accept that, then you might be asking “What can I do?” In this day and age, it’s pretty simple and much easier than in the past. If you see laws being broken, make a report. If you observe a LEO performing their job, stay out of the way but stay alert and vigilant. Be their overwatch. Have their ‘6’. Use the wonderful invention of the cell phone with integrated video capability to back them up, not just try to catch them in the wrong. Be the reason they make it home day after day, doing the very job we must have them do. Be the reason they can retire with this flag on their wall:
“In recognition for your service….” Instead of the reason a wife is presented a very similar flag, but in far more terrible circumstances.
I want to close with some wisdom from the past. This time, from British writer Runyard Kippling, best known for authoring the Jungle Book. In 1919, following the close of the First World War, in which he lost a son Kippling penned this poem:
The Gods of the Copybook Headings
- AS I PASS through my incarnations in every age and race,
- I make my proper prostrations to the Gods of the Market Place.
- Peering through reverent fingers I watch them flourish and fall,
- And the Gods of the Copybook Headings, I notice, outlast them all.
- We were living in trees when they met us. They showed us each in turn
- That Water would certainly wet us, as Fire would certainly burn:
- But we found them lacking in Uplift, Vision and Breadth of Mind,
- So we left them to teach the Gorillas while we followed the March of Mankind.
- We moved as the Spirit listed. They never altered their pace,
- Being neither cloud nor wind-borne like the Gods of the Market Place,
- But they always caught up with our progress, and presently word would come
- That a tribe had been wiped off its icefield, or the lights had gone out in Rome.
- With the Hopes that our World is built on they were utterly out of touch,
- They denied that the Moon was Stilton; they denied she was even Dutch;
- They denied that Wishes were Horses; they denied that a Pig had Wings;
- So we worshipped the Gods of the Market Who promised these beautiful things.
- When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
- They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
- But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
- And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: “Stick to the Devil you know.”
- On the first Feminian Sandstones we were promised the Fuller Life
- (Which started by loving our neighbour and ended by loving his wife)
- Till our women had no more children and the men lost reason and faith,
- And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: “The Wages of Sin is Death.”
- In the Carboniferous Epoch we were promised abundance for all,
- By robbing selected Peter to pay for collective Paul;
- But, though we had plenty of money, there was nothing our money could buy,
- And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: “If you don’t work you die.”
- Then the Gods of the Market tumbled, and their smooth-tongued wizards withdrew
- And the hearts of the meanest were humbled and began to believe it was true
- That All is not Gold that Glitters, and Two and Two make Four
- And the Gods of the Copybook Headings limped up to explain it once more.
- As it will be in the future, it was at the birth of Man
- There are only four things certain since Social Progress began.
- That the Dog returns to his Vomit and the Sow returns to her Mire,
- And the burnt Fool’s bandaged finger goes wabbling back to the Fire;
- And that after this is accomplished, and the brave new world begins
- When all men are paid for existing and no man must pay for his sins,
- As surely as Water will wet us, as surely as Fire will burn,
- The Gods of the Copybook Headings with terror and slaughter return!
If we are not careful, we are the fools whose finger is going to go back into the fire. If we aren’t careful, the Nation so many fought to build, protect, and Defend will be nothing more than a footnote…..an interesting but inconsequential experiment in human Governance relegated to the waste-bin of history. If that happens, the God given freedom we’ve been blessed with for so long will be gone, relegating our children to the darkness of Tyranny and slavery.
But if the watchman sees the sword coming and does not blow the trumpet to warn the people and the sword comes and takes someone’s life, that person’s life will be taken because of their sin, but I will hold the watchman accountable for their blood.’